Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kiera is back in the hospital and on a vent...Crappy 7th Birthday

I haven't posted much since I discovered facebook and went back to work. Life has been busy; but we were blessed with no significant hospitalizations for a few years. This year has been a little bit of a slap in the face. Kiera is currently in the process of her second hospitalization due to illness this year, and is in a very scary place right now. After a 2 week stay with RSV in February, I thought I had seen what would happen if she got really sick. She has been ventilator free since March 2011, and remained off the vent even through RSV.

The winning streak is over. Kiera caught both Rhinovirus and Parainfluenza after 1 week of attending school for the first time. We were so excited for her to be able to attend the sign language academy and looking forward to developmental leaps and bounds. After she got sick, I kept her home for a week, hoping to get her better. When she continued to seem better and then get worse, I took her to the pulmonologist 1 week later, and he admitted her to PICU. Four days after admission she was placed on a ventilator. Six days after admission they placed a central line and put her in a sedation coma with paralysis. Seven days after submission, her food had to be replaced with TPN because she was vomitting. Yesterday, on Day 10, she had to start blood pressure medications to lower high blood pressure (180 systolic). She is EXTREMELY sick. Her lungs are still very hyperinflated and she can't seen to empty them. My sweet little girl had to sleep through her 7th birthday, and I just want to see her eyes open again. I can't hold her while she is under, and I am placed right back where we were the day I started this blog in 2007. Through all of this, as you know, I am a teacher, and this was the first week of school. I have not called in sick. Anyone that complains about teachers around me should tread lightly.

Please pray for Kiera. We want to see her smiling face again, and I can't wait for her to throw breakables off my banister.

No comments: